We all know that tea is a wonderful thing, so wonderful in fact that we did an entire blog post about our beloved brews already. That being said we have recently ventured out and tried quite a few new recipes for hot drinks. Therefore we are about to share some of our favourite discoveries and seasonal classics with you. So the next time you snuggle up on the couch to read a book, knit or binge watch TV, give one of these amazing creations a try.
1. Fresh Ginger, Lemon, Mint and Honey Tea. This combination is an absolute winner for us! Simply slice up some fresh ginger, squeeze half a lemon, pluck a few mint leaves and add all of them into a cup of boiling water. Then drizzle in some honey for a little sweetness and let it all brew for about 5 minutes. Once done you can start sipping this immune system boosting tea that will immediately warm you up from the inside. P.S. If you do not have any fresh mint at hand, you can always substitute with a bag of your favourite mint tea.
2. Hot Cocoa. This classic cold weather drink is the perfect thing to get your chocolate fix while keeping you warm at the same time. Heat up your dairy milk/milk substitute of choice, add some raw organic cacao powder and a bit of organic cane sugar or agave nectar to get a healthy version of this childhood favourite of ours. With this recipe you can feel free to indulge in chocolate goodness whenever you want, raw cacao powder is a super food after all :)
3. Matcha Latte. It is no secret that green tea is super healthy for you, so why not give this yummy drink a try? All you have to do is mix a teaspoon of matcha powder with 1/2 a cup of boiling water. Then warm up and froth some milk or your favourite milk substitute (we think almond milk goes very well with this one) and add the milk to your tea mixture. If you like some extra sweetness add a teaspoon of honey or organic cane sugar before drinking this energy boosting brew.
4. Mulled Apple Juice. This little concoction just screams autumn/winter to us and it is something that can easily be made at home. Start by heating up some unsweetened cloudy apple juice in a pot. Add a stick of cinnamon, 3 cloves and some orange peel and let the mixture simmer for a couple of minutes so the spices can work their magic. Once done all that's left to do is to strain the mixture into a cup before enjoying this seasonal drink.
5. Chai Tea Latte. Last but not least we have a healthy version of this popular drink for you. While the coffee shop version is full of sugar and unnecessary flavourings, our homemade version is the perfect guilt-free drink. In order to make a good strong cup of chai tea, add some frothed milk or milk substitute to your chai brew and sprinkle with some cinnamon for an extra kick. That's it! Ready to enjoy for a fraction of the cost and without the unhealthy ingredients. The chai tea that we like to use is from Celestial Seasonings and called Bengal Spice. Not only is it caffeine free so we can enjoy it any time of day, it is also naturally sweet which means there is no need to add any sugar.
Now that you know how to make our favourite hot drinks why not share some of yours with us in the comments below? We would love to give them a try!
Brought to you by the guys and gals who make natural, healthy, handmade, ice lollies using real fruit that are lactose, gluten and dairy free. Keep posted for more blogs and let us know if there is anything you would like us to write about!