At the LICKALIX office we pride ourselves on knowing a lot about fruit. So, we thought we would share some of the craziest food facts we have learned so far with you. Here are 10 fruity facts that all foodies will go bananas for :)
1. We know it sounds crazy but you can trust us on this one - ripe cranberries will bounce like rubber balls!
2. Tomatoes have more genes than humans and as if that wasn't crazy enough...
3. ...we share 50% of our DNA with bananas!
4. Apples, pears, peaches and plums are all members of the rose family.
5. Cucumbers are super hydrating, they are 96% water after all.
6. Speaking of water, did you know that coconut water was used as a replacement for blood transfusion during the World War II ?
7. Some of you might know that a strawberry isn't actually a berry, however did you know that a banana is?
8. Along the same lines but way more surprising to most, peanuts aren't actually nuts. They are part of the legume family and do not grow on trees but underground - nuts isn't it?!?
9. Apples float on water because they contain more than 25% air.
10. The most expensive fruit in the world is the Japanese Yubari cantaloupe. Anyone want to take a guess on how much two of those sold for at an auction? Anyone? They sold for $23,500!!! We don't know about you, but we'd rather stick to watermelons :)
So there you go, those are 10 fruity facts you can use to impress your friends with :) Please feel free to send some of your own fruity facts our way, we always love to learn more! Who knows, you might be featured in our next post about fruity facts, so keep your eyes peeled on our social media sites.
Brought to you by the guys and gals who make natural, healthy, handmade, ice lollies using real fruit that are lactose, gluten and dairy free. Keep posted for more blogs and let us know if there is anything you would like us to write about!